In Gaza, Trump’s Board of Peace met with deep scepticism, little hope

In Gaza, Trump’s Board of Peace met with deep scepticism, little hope

3 minutes, 41 seconds Read

Deir el-Balah – As United States President Donald Trump convened the first meeting of his Board of Peace (BoP) in Washington, DC, on Thursday, Palestinians in the Gaza Strip were not debating diplomatic language or political frameworks.

On the streets and in tents across central and southern Gaza, where hundreds of thousands of displaced Palestinians are struggling to survive, one simple question dominated: Will anything actually change in the harsh reality on the ground?

Recommended Stories

list of 3 items

  • list 1 of 3Palestinians in Gaza say ‘Board of Peace’ will further occupation
  • list 2 of 3Trump’s Board of Peace meets: Who’s in, who’s out, what’s on the agenda?
  • list 3 of 3Trump’s Board of Peace faces its first test on Gaza

end of list

“I’ve heard about money being collected for Gaza, but we see nothing. This has happened many times, but nothing ever changes,” said 43-year-old Amal Joudeh, who lives in a tent in Deir el-Balah.

“I am one of the people whose house is gone. I still have no home. My husband is injured, and my children are injured. We want any support or reconstruction … any solution,” said the mother of eight, who had been displaced from the northern Gaza town of Beit Lahiya.

Addressing the meeting in Washington, DC, Trump announced that nine member nations have pledged $7bn to a reconstruction fund for the Gaza Strip, with five countries agreeing to deploy troops to an International Stabilisation Force for the Palestinian territory.

He said the US will also make a contribution of $10bn to the BoP, although he didn’t specify what the money will be used for.

The pledges, however, remain far below United Nations estimates of up to $70bn needed for rebuilding the Palestinian territory, destroyed by nonstop Israeli bombardment during more than two years of a genocidal war.

Awad al-Ghoul, displaced from Rafah in southern Gaza a year and a half ago to the al-Zawayda area in the Gaza Strip, sees the
Awad al-Ghoul, displaced from Rafah in southern Gaza a year and a half ago to the az-Zawayda area in the Gaza Strip, sees the “Board of Peace” as nothing more than a “club of major powers” [Abdelhakim Abu Riash/Al Jazeera]

Very little has changed since the “ceasefire” agreement brokered by Trump went into effect in October last year.

Most Palestinians are still struggling to feed their families, while health, education and sanitary services are almost nonexistent.

Gaza’s Ministry of Health has said that more than 600 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli gunfire since the truce, which Palestinians had hoped would end more than two years of genocidal war that has killed more than 72,000 people, according to official statistics.

“Israel kills, bombs, violates the ceasefire agreement daily and expands the buffer zone without anyone stopping it,” said Awad al-Ghoul, a 70-year-old Palestinian displaced from Tal as-Sultan in Rafah and who now lives in a tent in the town of az-Zawayda.

“If a peace board of this size cannot force Israel to stop its attacks in a small place like Gaza, how will it fix conflicts across the world?” al-Ghoul says, referring to Trump’s stated intention that the board would not be limited to Gaza but would extend to intervening in resolving other international disputes.

Funds allocated: Genuine support or rhetoric?

Many people in Gaza who had pinned their hopes on international donor conferences in the past without any tangible results were sceptical about the figures.

Al-Ghoul said he does not believe these sums will entirely go to Gaza.

“A small part will go to Gaza, and the rest will be administrative expenses and luxurious salaries for top officials and presidents. A small portion will come to Gaza so they can say they supported Gaza and justify the continuation of their luxury club called the Board of Peace .”

“So this project is a failure from the start and unclear in vision, like the failure of the aid distribution foundation established by America a year ago, which became death traps for thousands.”

Jamal Abu Mukhda from Deir al-Balah believes that the Peace Council and its decisions are merely lies for media consumption [Abdelhakim Abu Riash/Al Jazeera]
Jamal Abu Mukhda from Deir el-Balah believes that the Board of Peace and its decisions are merely lies for media consumption [Abdelhakim Abu Riash/Al Jazeera]

Jamal Abu Makhdeh agrees.

“They won’t do anything for Gaza. It’s all lies,” the 66-year-old man says. “Anything Israel agrees to certainly won’t be in our interest,” he tells Al Jazeera in Deir el-Balah.

“Trump, together with Israel, wants to use the Board of Peace to impose their decisions on the world by force. This is about power, control, and domination, with

Read More

Similar Posts