NYC nursing walkout ends as last striking nurses approve new contract

NYC nursing walkout ends as last striking nurses approve new contract

Thousands of nurses at a major New York hospital system have approved a new contract, voting to end a strike after more than a month

ByJENNIFER PELTZ Associated Press

February 21, 2026, 7: 17 PM

NEW YORK — Nurses at a big New York hospital system approved a new contract Saturday, voting to end a major nursing strike after more than a month.

More than 4,000 nurses in the privately run NewYork-Presbyterian system went on strike Jan. 12. They are now due to start returning to work in the coming week. The union, called the New York State Nurses Association, said 93% of its members at NewYork-Presbyterian voted to ratify the three-year contract.

Two other big private hospital systems, Montefiore and Mount Sinai, ended their nurses’ walkout earlier this month by inking contract agreements with the same union.

“We are so happy with the wins we achieved, and now the fight to enforce these contracts and hold our employers accountable begins,” union President Nancy Hagans said in a statement Saturday.

NewYork-Presbyterian said that it looked forward to its nurses’ return and that the contract “reflects our respect for our nurses and the critical role they play as part of our exceptional care teams.”

Both sides had said Friday that they had reached a tentative deal. Union members voted on it Fri

Read More

Similar Posts