S African ex-leader Zuma’s daughter quits parliament amid Russia war claims

S African ex-leader Zuma’s daughter quits parliament amid Russia war claims

Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla’s resignation comes amid an investigation into her role in luring South Africans to fight for Russia in war on Ukraine.

Published On 29 Nov 2025

A daughter of former South African President Jacob Zuma has resigned from parliament amid allegations that she lured 17 men to fight as mercenaries in Russia’s war against Ukraine.

Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla’s resignation on Friday comes after police said she was under investigation for her alleged role in luring South Africans to Russia. The police announcement came after a group of men aged 20 to 39 ended up on the front lines of the conflict in Ukraine.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 items

  • list 1 of 4Ukraine says over 1,400 Africans recruited to fight for Russia in war
  • list 2 of 4Russia-backed arson attack ringleaders handed jail sentences in UK
  • list 3 of 4Moscow-backed court jails two Colombians who fought for Ukraine
  • list 4 of 4France detains four amid inquiry into suspected Russian spy network

end of list

Zuma-Sambudla had served as a member of parliament since June 2024 for uMkhonto weSizwe (MK), an opposition party created by her father in 2023 following his expulsion from South Africa’s then-governing African National Congress.

“The national officials have accepted comrade Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla’s decision to resign and support her efforts to ensure that these young South Africans are brought back safely to their families,” the MK Party’s national chairperson, Nkosinathi Nhleko, told a news conference.

MK officials said Zuma-Sambudla’s resignation was voluntary and that her departure from the National Assembly and all other public roles was effective immediately.

The MK’s Nhleko also said that the party was not involved in luring the men to Russia and that Zuma-Sambudla’s resignation was not an admission of guilt, but added that MK would help support the families of the men stranded in Ukraine.

Zuma-Sambudla was present at the news conference but did not speak, and has not publicly responded to the accusations from her half-sister.

epa12517822 Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla (L), the daughter of former South African President Jacob Zuma, appears in court on charges of terrorism in Durban, South Africa, 11 November 2025. She pleaded not guilty to terrorism-related charges at the start of her trial. Zuma-Sambudla is being charged over comments she made on social media four years ago during deadly protests following the arrest of her father. EPA/STRINGER
Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla, left, the daughter of former South African President Jacob Zuma, appears in court on charges of terrorism in Durban, South Africa, on November 11, 2025 [EPA]

South Africa’s government said earlier this month that 17 of its citizens were stuck in Ukraine’s Donbas region after being tricked into fighting for mercenary forces under the pretext of lucrative employment contracts.

Then, last weekend, police said they would investigate Zuma-Sambudla after her half-sister made a formal request for the probe into her and two other people.

According to police, an affidavit submitte

Read More

Similar Posts