Ben Tobiasand
Patrick Jackson
Italian Golf Federation
Emanuele Galeppini, an Italian golfer, is feared dead in the blaze
A fire at a bar in a Swiss ski resort has killed 40 people and injured another 119, officials say.
The bar, Le Constellation in the resort of Crans-Montana, was full of Swiss people and tourists celebrating New Year’s Day in the early hours of Thursday when the blaze began in the basement area.
Prosecutors say that, according to initial investigations, the likely cause of the fire was sparklers on champagne bottles being carried too close to the ceiling.
Switzerland’s President Guy Parmelin called it “one of the worst tragedies” experienced by the country.
A teenage golfer from Italy is the first victim to be named by media, though not officially.
Families of missing teenagers are facing an agonising wait for information, as most of the 40 victims and six of those injured are yet to be identified.
A helpline has been set up for concerned families: +41 848 112 117
Here is what we know so far.
Italian golfer Emanuele Galeppini feared dead
Several media outlets have named Italian golfer Emanuele Galeppini, 16, as the first identified victim of the fire following a statement from the Italian Golf Federation.
A spokesperson for the Italian foreign ministry told the BBC it was not confirming this.
In a tribute, the Italian Golf Federation called Emanuele a “young athlete who carried with him passion and authentic values”. But the statement does not mention the fire in Switzerland.
Local Italian media previously reported Emanuele’s father had said his son was at the bar on the night of the fire, and that the family had last had contact with him at midnight.
The Italian foreign ministry has said six of its citizens remain missing.
France has also said eight of its citizens are missing and it cannot rule out that French nationals are among the dead.
One Belgian citizen was still missing as well, Belgium’s foreign affairs department told the BBC.
Police commander Frédéric Gisler confirmed on Friday that 113 of the 119 people injured had been formally identified.
Those identified include:
One citizen from LuxembourgHe warned the figures might change.
The Australian Department for Foreign Affairs and Trade also said an Australian had been injured in the fire and was now receiving medical care.
Many of those injured in the fire remain in a critical condition “and are still fighting to live”, Mathias Reynard, president of the Valais region, said.
French football club F
Read More
