Pause on visas and halting of asylum applications comes after shooting of two National Guard members in Washington, DC.
Published On 29 Nov 2025
The US State Department has announced it is “immediately” pausing issuing visas for individuals travelling on Afghan passports to protect “public safety”, as President Donald Trump administration’s immigration crackdown intensifies in the wake of a deadly attack on two National Guard members.
The announcement on Friday came as United States immigration authorities said they are also halting decisions on all asylum applications for the foreseeable future.
Recommended Stories
list of 3 items
- list 1 of 3National Guard soldier Sarah Beckstrom dies after DC shooting: Trump
- list 2 of 3Trump pauses immigration from ‘Third World’ countries: What that means
- list 3 of 3Suspect in Washington, DC, shooting charged with murder after soldier dies
end of list
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio confirmed in a post on X on Friday that the State Department had “paused visa issuance for ALL individuals traveling on Afghan passports”.
The move comes after authorities named Afghan national Rahmanaullah Lakanwal as the main suspect in Wednesday’s shooting in Washington, DC, which killed one National Guard member and left another in critical condition.
“The United States has no higher priority than protecting our nation and our people,” Rubio said.
President Trump’s State Department has paused visa issuance for ALL individuals traveling on Afghan passports.
The United States has no higher priority than protecting our nation and our people. https://t.co/HuR1Lj7F9t
— Secretary Marco Rubio (@SecRubio) November 28, 2025
Lakanwal is alleged to have ambushed West Virginia National Guard members Sarah Beckstrom and Andrew Wolfe in an unprovoked attack as they patrolled near the White House.
On Thursday evening, the Trump administration confirmed that 20-year-old Beckstrom had died from her injuries, while 24-year-old Wolfe remains in critical condition.
The CIA confirmed this week that Lakanwal had worked for the spy agency in Afghanistan before emigrating to the US shortly after the withdrawal of Western forces from the country in 2021.
The office of US Attorney for the District of Columbia, Jeanine Pirro, announced on Friday that the charges against Lakanwal had been upgraded to first-degree
