The Louvre Museum is moving quickly to address security issues after an 8-minute heist resulted in a $102 million (approximately 88 million euros) loss. From adding cameras in the building to upping ticket sales, the upgrades have been rolled out in the last two weeks. Meanwhile, local police is locked in on the jewel heist investigation, arresting four more people this week in connection.
RELATED: Got ‘Em?! Two Suspects In Louvre Jewel Heist Admit Their Involvement After Arrest In France (UPDATE)
Louvre Museum Ramps Up Security With 100 Cameras
The head of the Louvre Museum said last Wednesday that new surveillance cameras and anti-intrusion systems will soon be installed at the Paris landmark. By the end of next year, some 100 cameras will be operational. Surveillance cameras will try to ensure “complete protection of the museum’s surroundings,” Louvre director Laurence des Cars said.
Meanwhile, the museum plans to introduce anti-intrusion systems within two weeks, according to the director. She described the systems as equipment that will prevent intruders from getting close to the museum buildings. On the day of the heist, it took thieves less than 8 minutes to force their way through a window into the Apollo Gallery with the help of a freight lift.
This is all part of more than 20 emergency measures that the Louvre museum will implement. The new measures also include the creation of a “security coordinator” position at the museum, which they posted this month.
Des Cars stressed security improvement is a priority of the decade-long “Louvre New Renaissance” plan, which they launched earlier this year. It has an estimated cost of up to 800 million euros ($933 million), to modernize infrastructure, ease crowding and give the Mona Lisa her own gallery by 2031.
Museum Plans To Increase Ticket Sales For Some Visitors
All these security upgrades require deep pockets, and the Louvre museum is looking to visitors to help fill the
